The J-1 visa is a non-immigrant visa for an exchange visitor wishing to stay temporarily in the U.S. There are a number of different programs within the J-1 category. These include interns, trainees, professors or scholars, research assistants, students, teachers, specialists, nannies/au pairs, and camp counselors. At Stelmakh & Associates LLC, we assist individuals with two of these categories: J-1 Intern visas and J-1 trainees visas. We also assist our clients with J-1 waivers.

To apply for a J-1 visa as an intern, you must:

  • Be at least 18 years old
  • Stay in the U.S. between three weeks and 12 months
  • Speak English proficiently
  • Be enrolled in a post-secondary, degree-granting program
  • Have financial support that is three times the average monthly rent where you will be living

Repeat participation in the internship program is possible, provided you remain eligible.