The J-1 visa, also known as the Exchange Visitor Visa or J student visa, is for anyone outside of the US who wishes to take part in study- and work-related exchange programs approved by the Department of State Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs. Typically, a J-1 student visa holder is sponsored by an educational or nonprofit institution.

When you apply for a J-1 student visa under the College and University Student Program category, you can study at a college or university in the US and remain in the country for the duration of your course or degree program. 

J-1 visa holders are required to return to their home country after graduation and live there for at least two years. You will only be allowed to return to the US after fulfilling this requirement. In the case of emergency or special circumstances related to returning to your home country, this requirement may be waived.